What is Nice Cream?
Simple – it’s ice cream without all the nasties! Yep, you make it yourself from a combination of frozen fruit and coconut milk or yoghurt. Bananas are the base ingredient and you combine them with other fruits to create different flavours. Add a dash of coconut milk, your favourite nut milk, or yoghurt and you’ve got yourself a delish frozen treat.
I think nice cream is an especially good natural treat for the kids, as it tastes great and it’s not laden with added sugars or chemicals. (There are natural sugars in the fruit, of course, which will be released more slowly into the bloodstream than refined sugar).
The best thing about nice cream tho, is that it’s really easy to make; you only need a high speed blender or food processor, not a fancy ice cream maker. The only prep required is to put some chopped fruit into the freezer for a few hours and then blending it together only takes a few minutes. It’s ready to serve instantly, or you can put it back in the freezer for later.
Nice cream can be eaten at any time of day; it’s a yummy breakfast on a hot day or a refreshing treat after a hot and sweaty workout (add some protein powder, nuts or seeds for an extra boost).
You can use all sorts of different toppings on your nice cream, from chopped nuts to flax and chia seeds, protein or other powders or choc chips.
This recipe is my favourite, but banana/berry is a close second – just swap the mango for frozen berries!
- 2 frozen bananas (pre cut into chunks)
- 1 frozen mango (pre diced)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, (optional)
- ⅓ cup cold coconut milk, coconut cream, nut milk or yoghurt
- High speed blender or food processor
- Simply place all of your ingredients into the blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy
- This recipe makes enough for two people.
- You do need to plan ahead by freezing the bananas and mango and just in case it's not obvious - peel and chop the bananas and dice the mango before putting them in the freezer!