So what exactly is a brekkie mug?
It’s a cross between a brekkie/smoothie bowl and a mug cake, of course! Confused? Okay, let me explain!
A smoothie bowl is basically a really thick smoothie that needs to be eaten with a spoon – so it’s usually in a bowl instead of a glass. And they usually look a lot prettier than your average smoothie; if you follow healthy foodie accounts on Instagram you’ll know what I mean. The toppings are often beautifully and artistically displayed. Some of them are true works of art and just shouldn’t be eaten, they’re sooo pretty!
Okay, so then there’s mug cakes, which are pretty self explanatory. They’re single serving cakes that you microwave in a mug.
The recipe I’m giving you here is a hybrid of these two and the main ingredients are four of my favourite foods. Yep, banana, strawberries,eggs and oats!
Watch this short video to see how I make my brekkie mugs.
- 1 banana
- 3 chopped strawberries
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oats
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- a good shake of cinnamon
- 1 large dollop of Almond Butter
- In a large mug, mash the banana, add the egg and whisk well with a fork.
- Add the oats, chopped strawberries, vanilla & cinnamon and mix together.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for approximately 90 seconds.
- Remove from microwave when cooked, make a small well in the centre and add the Almond Butter.
- I love the simplicity of this and it's ready to eat in just a few minutes, but you could also add Greek Yoghurt, honey or coconut milk too
- P.s. they're great for a quick and easy dessert too!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!