Make your own healthy chocolate – it’s easy!
If you love dark chocolate, then you’ve got to give this healthy chocolate recipe a try!
I never knew how easy it was and this is the best way to enjoy chocolate without the guilty feelings. Chocolate is a treat that I’ve always enjoyed, but it’s even better when you make it yourself and you know exactly what’s going into it.
Just three simple base ingredients, add in your favourite fillings and you’ve got yummy chocolate that’s good for you too 🙂
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil or Coconut Butter
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup*
- A silicone mini muffin tray ice cube tray or if you want to be really fancy, use chocolate moulds
- Chopped nuts
- Dried berries/fruit
- Shredded or desiccated coconut
- Sea Salt
- Gently warm the coconut oil/butter and rice malt syrup in a small saucepan over a low heat, or in a small bowl in the microwave
- Stir until they are well mixed; this should only take a minute or two
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cacao powder so that all of the ingredients are well combined
- Pour the mixture into the tray moulds until they are almost full. Sprinkle in your choice of toppings and put into the freezer for an hour or two
Store in either the fridge or freezer, depending on the weather and how you like the consistency of your chocolates
*You can use honey as a sweetener if you prefer; I find that the flavour is overpowering in chocolate and Rice Malt Syrup gives a more subtle sweetness (and it's fructose free, if that's important to you)
I started out using Coconut Oil, but I've since graduated to half Coconut Oil and half Coconut Butter as it gives a creamier taste and texture to the chocolate!
My favourite variation at the moment is chocolate nuggets with nuts and sea salt – use your favourite nuts; I’ve been using Almonds and Cashews. Goji Berries are great too!
To make these: mix the basic ingredients together as above, then stir 1/2 cup of chopped nuts into the chocolate mixture and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes, until the chocolate is just firm
Remove from the fridge and place small spoonfuls of the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and freeze until the nuggets are firm
I have one of these most nights with my after dinner cup of tea – yummo 🙂
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!