Basic Greek yoghurt muffins
This is my muffin recipe that I played around with for quite a long time before I was finally happy enough to share it. So here it is: my recipe for basic Greek yoghurt muffins.
Like a lot of people, I love muffins, all kinds of muffins, especially with a good cup of coffee. But when I decided to healthify my diet, I came to realise that the muffins I was buying really weren’t doing me any good health wise.
So rather than give them up, I started experimenting with how I could make my own healthier versions. And like I said, it took a while!
This is my basic fruit yoghurt muffin recipe. I love to use strawberries, as they are one of my favourite fruits. Sometimes I add tinned peaches as well, but you could use any fruit you like really.
How I make healthier muffins
I us oat flour and almond meal, instead of traditional refined white flour.
Make your own fresh oat flour as you need it, it only takes a few minutes. Simply grind the required amount of oats in a food processor or blender such as a NutriBullet.
I cut back on sugar by using honey or pure maple syrup and I now prefer the taste.
When you reduce the amount of sugar in your diet and make an effort to use natural sources as much as possible, you’ll start to notice just how unnecessaruly sweet some foods are.
If peaches aren’t in season, tinned work perfectly well in this recipe too. Just check the label to make sure they’re in natural juice.
More healthy dessert & snack recipes
Have you got your copy of my Healthy Desserts & Snacks recipe book yet?
With over 40 delicious recipes, it’s a must have for every healthy home cook.
Oh and if you’re in need of some support and motivation to stick to a regular breakfast habit, my Free Brekkie Challenge is just the thing!
I run the challenges several time each year, so pop on over to the BREKKIE CHALLENGE PAGE for all of the details about how it works.
Or go ahead and sign up here and I’ll notify you when the next one starts.
Here’s the recipe
BASIC GREEK YOGHURT MUFFINS
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Greek Yoghurt
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 large peach peeled and diced
- 6-8 strawberries chopped
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Place liners in a muffin pan, or lightly grease the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, oat flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over a low heat and allow it to cool slightly while preparing the other wet ingredients.
- In a medium sized bowl lightly whisk the eggs and then add the honey, yoghurt, milk and vanilla. Pour in th ecoconut oil and continue to gently whisk until all the wet ingredients are well combined.
- Slowly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix through.
- Gently fold in the strawberries and peaches.
- Divide the batter evenly among the baking cups, filling to about ¾ full.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown.
- After removing from the oven, allow the muffins to rest for 5 minutes and then cool on a rack.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Please read this post about WHY YOU SHOULDN’T COUNT CALORIES for more information