Healthy banana walnut bread
This banana walnut bread has become one of my favourites for breakfast or morning tea. I’ve always loved making (and eating) banana bread and playing around with different ingredients.
I’ve developed my base recipe over the space of couple of years, using a combination of healthier flours, like almond meal, buckwheat flour, coconut flour and ground flax seed.
Here’s the recipe for my ORIGINAL BANANA LOAF
Take the free 2-week healthy brekkie challenge
I'll send you everything you need: recipes, planning & prep tips, tools & resources and a daily dose of motivation.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS COMMIT TO ONE SIMPLE NEW DAILY HABIT.
It’s amazing how deliciously different these home made banana breads are from anything that you buy in a cafe or supermarket.
In fact, the only banana bread I eat these days are my home made recipes.
Not just because I know the ingredients are all fresh and natural, but it really does taste so much better! Especially now that my palate has adjusted to less sugar.
This banana bread is my favourite go-to, but I also love to make this MANGO MACADAMIA LOAF, with fresh mangos in Summer.
How to make this healthy banana bread
Add your dry ingredients to a small bowl, and mix together.
Then in a large bowl, mash the bananas.
Add the other wet ingredients and mix again.
Sometimes I use a stick blender for a smoother batter, but it’s not necessary. It’s nice to have some small banana chunks sometimes too!
Combine everything together, and then fold through the walnuts.
Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan, and bake.
Some extra tips for making this banana walnut bread
- I have learned that mixing in a beaten egg white just before you pour the batter into the tin, will help the banana bread to rise.
- Sprinkle some chia seeds, or extra walnuts on top of the loaf just before you pop it into the oven.
- I use almond meal as my base “flour” and then I use a combination of two others. Most of the time, it’s coconut flour and ground flax seed, but sometimes I’ll use buckwheat flour instead of the flax.
- Use a muffin tin instead of a loaf tin if you’d like banana walnut muffins instead!
- Pure maple syrup is my preferred sweetener, as I love the flavour it adds to bananas.
If you’d like a banana bread that’s only sweetened with natural fruit sugars, I do have a recipe in my DESSERTS & SNACKS EBOOK
Take the 2-week healthy brekkie challenge
Great news!!! In between each live round of the brekkie challenge, I’ve now decided to keep it open via email, so you can do it as a mini-course.
This round is focussed on adding Omega 3’s and antioxidants to your diet, so it's perfect for everyone right now.
I'm challenging you to commit to one simple habit you can implement right now to improve your health. Sign up and take the 2-week brekkie challenge – it's free!
Here’s the recipe
BANANA AND WALNUT BREAD
- 2-3 bananas, depending on size
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 175℃ and line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chop the bananas into small chunks and place in a large bowl. Mash, or blend with a stick blender.
- Add the eggs, melted coconut oil or butter, maple syrup & vanilla. Blend until well mixed. (I use a stick blender).
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix through.
- Fold the walnuts through the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- remove from the oven and let the banana bread sit for 10 minutes in the pan, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy warm from the oven on it's own or spread with butter.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE
Join my free community to learn more about Wendy's Way, and my approach to weight loss and healthy living.
As a valued member of my community, you will:
- Gain access to regular email updates, tips & healthy recipes.
- Be invited to join the live rounds of the 2-week brekkie challenge 3 times each year, where I provide ongoing free education for Wendy's Way members, relating to a different theme each time.
- Be rewarded for your loyalty with exclusive access, and "members only" pricing, whenever I release new products & programs.
- Receive free tools & resources, starting with the flexi-menu planner. Learn to prepare quick healthy meals in exactly the right portion sizes without measuring or counting calories.
Join now, and take your first step towards a healthier life.
"Small but consistent changes are the key to phenomenal, long term results."