Healthy banana walnut bread
This banana walnut bread has become one of my favourites for breakfast or morning tea. I’ve always loved making (and eating) banana bread and playing around with different ingredients.
I’ve developed my base recipe over the space of couple of years, using a combination of healthier flours, like almond meal, buckwheat flour, coconut flour and ground flax seed.
Here’s the recipe for my ORIGINAL BANANA LOAF
It’s amazing how deliciously different these banana breads are from anything that you buy commercially.
This banana walnut bread uses the natural sweetness of the fruit and just a little bit of honey or pure maple syrup.
In fact, the only banana bread I eat these days is my home made recipe. Not just because I know the ingredients are all fresh and natural, but because it really does taste so much better!
How to make a healthy banana bread
Add your dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
Then in a large bowl, mash the bananas.
Add the other wet ingredients and mix again.
I like to use a stick blender.
Combine everything together, and fold through the walnuts.
Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan, and bake.
- I have learned that mixing in an egg white right at the end will help the banana bread to rise.
- Sprinkle some chia seeds, or extra walnuts on top of the loaf just before you pop it into the oven.
- I use almond meal as my base “flour” and then I use a combination of two others. Most of the time, it’s coconut flour and ground flax seed, but sometimes I’ll use buckwheat flour instead of the flax.
- Use a muffin tin instead of a loaf tin if you’d like banana walnut muffins instead!
- Pure maple syrup is my preferred sweetener, as I love the flavour it adds to bananas.
Although if you’d like a banana bread that’s only sweetened with natural fruit sugars, I do have a recipe in my DESSERTS & SNACKS EBOOK
Here’s the recipe
BANANA AND WALNUT BREAD
- 2-3 bananas, depending on size
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅔ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 175℃ and line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chop the bananas into small chunks and place in a large bowl. Mash, or blend with a stick blender.
- Add the eggs, melted coconut oil or butter, maple syrup & vanilla. Blend until well mixed. (I use a stick blender).
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix through.
- Fold the walnuts through the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- remove from the oven and let the banana bread sit for 10 minutes in the pan, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy warm from the oven on it's own or spread with butter.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE