Christmas crostini: an easy and healthy appetiser
These Christmas crostini are hands down my favourite easy appetiser, ever. They’re really versatile; great as a starter before dinner or as party finger food.
Full of flavour, with the colours of the avocado and tomato lending a subtle Christmassy feel.
Oh, and did I mention healthy too? As you know, I’m all about balance and moderation, which can go out the window all too quickly during the festive season. So healthy options are really important.
If you’re looking for healthy appetisers that are easy to make, and taste great, you won’t be disappointed with these crostini. I think they look fabulous too, so they fit the bill perfectly if you need an impressive appetiser too!
The sweet potato is a great healthy substitute for any bread or biscuit type base, and the salsa has a light, fresh dressing. I have also experimented with beetroot as a base. While it tastes great, it isn’t really finger food, unless you don’t mind beetroot stained fingers!
We usually make these delicious, easy appetisers a few times during the festive season. They’re great to prep ahead too. Cook the crostini base a day or two ahead and keep them in the fridge til you’re ready to top them.
- Make sure you also check out my round up of where to find the BEST HEALTHY CHRISTMAS RECIPES. I’ve included links to my favourite websites that I trust for healthier versions of your traditional favourites.
- And get my best tips for enjoying the festive season without overdoing it (yes, it is possible!!)
ENJOY CHRISTMAS WITHOUT OVERINDULGING
Here’s the recipe
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tbsp oil – coconut or olive
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp Italian herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 180℃ and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the sweet potato into even ½ inch thick slices.
- Place slices on the tray and coat with the oil. Sprinkle over the salt and paprika.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until cooked but firm.
- Remove the crostini from the oven when cooked and allow to cool.
- While the crostini are cooking, chop and dice the avocado, tomatoes & onion.
- Combine in a bowl with the oil and herbs.
- Top the crostini with salsa just prior to serving.
Keep them separately in the fridge until you're ready to assemble them.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE
Pin this recipe for later