Christmas crostini: an easy and healthy appetiser
These Christmas crostini are hands down my favourite healthy appetiser, ever. They’re easy to make, really versatile and great as a starter before dinner or as party finger food.
I know that the festive season can feel like one big overindulgence, so while you’re here make sure you check out my tips on having a good time without going overboard – yes, it is possible!! ENJOY CHRISTMAS WITHOUT OVERINDULGING
Oh, and did I mention that these crostini are healthy and delicious? As you know, I’m all about balance and moderation, which has a tendency to go out the window all too quickly during the festive season.
The more options you have that are healthy and will please all of your guests, the better, in my opinion.
The sweet potato subs in nicely as a tasty base, and the salsa topping has a light, fresh dressing. I really love how the colours of the avocado and tomato lend a subtle Christmassy feel to these delicious little canapès.
We usually make these delicious, easy appetisers a few times during the festive season. They’re perfect to prep ahead too. Cook the crostini base a day or two ahead and keep them in the fridge til you’re ready to top them.
These Christmas crostini do not dissapoint as a healthy appetiser that’s easy to make and will please everyone.
I think they look fabulous too, so they fit the bill perfectly when you need an impressive appetiser!
Looking for healthier versions of your traditional Christmas favourites as well? Make sure you check out my round-up of where to find the BEST HEALTHY CHRISTMAS RECIPES. I’ve included links to my favourite websites that I trust for healthier versions of classics like Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, and gingerbread men.
Take the free 2-week healthy brekkie challenge
I'll send you everything you need: recipes, planning & prep tips, tools & resources and a daily dose of motivation.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS COMMIT TO ONE SIMPLE NEW DAILY HABIT.
Here’s the recipe
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp Italian herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 180℃ and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the sweet potato into even ½ inch thick slices.
- Place slices on the tray and coat with the oil. Sprinkle over the salt and paprika.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until cooked but firm.
- Remove the crostini from the oven when cooked and allow to cool.
- While the crostini are cooking, chop and dice the avocado, tomatoes & onion.
- Combine in a bowl with the oil and herbs.
- Top the crostini with salsa just prior to serving.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE
Join my free community to learn more about Wendy's Way, and my approach to weight loss and healthy living.
As a valued member of my community, you will:
- Gain access to regular email updates, tips & healthy recipes.
- Be invited to join the live rounds of the 2-week brekkie challenge 3 times each year, where I provide ongoing free education for Wendy's Way members, relating to a different theme each time.
- Be rewarded for your loyalty with exclusive access, and "members only" pricing, whenever I release new products & programs.
- Receive free tools & resources, starting with the flexi-menu planner. Learn to prepare quick healthy meals in exactly the right portion sizes without measuring or counting calories.
Join now, and take your first step towards a healthier life.
"Small but consistent changes are the key to phenomenal, long term results."
Pin this recipe for later