Yep, that’s what I’m calling this recipe, mousse.
Because it really tastes quite rich and creamy, like a mousse.
I’ve adapted a recipe I came across on Pinterest, where it was called a custard, but I don’t think custard does this scrummy dish justice!
I’ve been eating it as an indulgent breakfast, but it also works perfectly as a dessert or snack.
I’m still playing around with variations. I’ll be trying cow’s milk next and swapping the dates for maple syrup.
So stay tuned for updates.
Now let’s get to the recipe!
- 1 small can coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 chopped banana
- 3 chopped, pitted dates
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- As the milk starts to heat (after a minute or two) add the egg and whisk to blend.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, but don't let it boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a blender.
- Add all of the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add the chia seeds and quickly blend again to mix them evenly through.
- Transfer to a glass jar and allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy!