Bacon and cheese, need I say more?
Okay, for all those who favour savoury tastes more than a sweet tooth – here’s my muffin recipe with bacon, cheese, tomato and onion.
I’m giving you two recipes, the first one is a traditional style muffin recipe and the second one doesn’t have any flour, milk or oil, they are basically mini quiches (without pastry) cooked in a muffin pan. The mini quiches are a little bit quicker to make, but both recipes are very yummy!
A delicious healthy snack, especially as a brekkie on the run.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- ¼ cup oil - olive or coconut
- 3 rashers lean bacon - cooked and diced
- 1 large tomato - chopped
- ½ red onion - diced and cooked
- ½ - 1 cup grated cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180℃ and line a muffin tray with patty pans or grease well.
- Finely chop the onion and cook it in a non stick pan with the bacon, then dice the bacon once cooled and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the oat flour, almond meal, baking powder and salt.
- Lightly whisk the eggs in a medium sized bowl and mix in the milk and oil.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until combined. Add the cheese, tomato, onion and bacon and mix through.
- Pour mixture evenly into muffin tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top or a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy.
- They will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, if they last that long.
- You can buy oat flour or make your own - it only takes me a few seconds to grind whole oats in my NutriBullet.
- Use whatever cheese is your favourite - I used a pizza melt mix.
- You can add your favourite herbs to this recipe. I'm going to add some Italian or mixed herbs to my next batch - combine them with the other dry ingredients.
- I also set aside a small amount of filling to sprinkle on top of my muffins, but you don't need to.
- 8 eggs
- 4 medium rashers lean bacon, cooked and diced
- ½ red onion
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180℃ and grease muffin tray.
- Cook bacon, dice and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs with salt, pepper and mixed herbs and pour evenly into muffin tray.
- Add filling ingredients evenly and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately.
- These are perfect for quick, healthy breakfasts. Prep a batch on the weekend and then keep in the freezer for the rest of the week.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!