Banana strawberry brekkie mug
So what exactly is a brekkie mug?
A brekkie mug is a cross between a porridge, or oatmeal bowl, and a mug cake, of course! Sound a little confusing? Okay, let me explain!
It’s actually quicker to make a brekkie mug than traditional porridge, as it’s cooked in the microwave and ready in just 2 minutes.
Brekkie mugs are a fast healthy breakfast option. Just add your favourite nut butter and/or Greek yoghurt for an extra protein boost.
Take the free 2-week healthy brekkie challenge
I'll send you everything you need: recipes, planning & prep tips, tools & resources and a daily dose of motivation.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS COMMIT TO ONE SIMPLE NEW DAILY HABIT.
How do you make a brekkie mug?
This recipe is for a banana strawberry brekkie mug, which is my favourite fruit combo.
Mash the banana in a large mug. Whisk in an egg, with some cinnamon and vanilla.
Then add the oats and chopped strawberries. Give everything a good stir, and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes.
When your mug is cooked, turn it out into a bowl, and add your favourite toppings.
I like a dollop of almond butter, and some Greek yoghurt on the side.
Or simply make a well in the centre of your mug for the almond butter and eat it straight from the mug.
- Change up the flavour by swapping the strawberries for other berries, peaches, plums or cherries.
- Give your mug a chocolatey flavour by swapping out the oats and strawberries for 1 dessert spoon each of almond meal and cacao powder.
- Chocolate mugs are a great quick dessert, topped with regular cream or coconut cream, and a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
- With no added sugar, brekkie mugs are a great low sugar choice for breakfast or dessert.
And let’s face it, it doesn’t get much better than chocolate for breakfast! Unless you decide to have one of these chocolatey mugs for dessert, of course.
More great healthy breakfast ideas:
Visit the BREKKIE BOWLS category on the main recipe page for lots of other easy and healthy breakfast bowl recipes.
Bake a batch of these STRAWBERRY COCONUT MUFFINS on the weekend for quick grab-and-go healthy brekkies through the week.
I have a couple of other chocolate mug cake recipes in my Facebook group WENDY’S WAY HEALTHY LIFESTYLE COMMUNITY. Check the files section of the group if you’re a member. And if you’re not, then come join us!
Take the 2-week healthy brekkie challenge
Great news!!! In between each live round of the brekkie challenge, I’ve now decided to keep it open via email, so you can do it as a mini-course.
This round is focussed on adding Omega 3’s and antioxidants to your diet, so it's perfect for everyone right now.
I'm challenging you to commit to one simple habit you can implement right now to improve your health. Sign up and take the 2-week brekkie challenge – it's free!
Here’s a quick video so you can see how easy it really is to make a brekkie mug!
Here’s the recipe
BANANA STRAWBERRY BREKKIE MUG
- 1 banana, mashed
- 3 chopped strawberries
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oats
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- good shake cinnamon
- 1 large dollop almond butter
- 1-2 dessert spoons Greek yoghurt
- In a large mug, mash the banana, add the egg and whisk well with a fork.
- Add the oats, chopped strawberries, vanilla & cinnamon and mix together.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for 2 minutes. If it's still a bit gooey in the middle, cook for another 30 seconds – flip it over if you can!
- Remove from the microwave when cooked, make a small well in the centre and add the almond butter.
- You can eat straight from the mug, or transfer to a bowl and top with some Greek yoghurt as well.
Watch the video
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE
Join my free community to learn more about Wendy's Way, and my approach to weight loss and healthy living.
As a valued member of my community, you will:
- Gain access to regular email updates, tips & healthy recipes.
- Be invited to join the live rounds of the 2-week brekkie challenge 3 times each year, where I provide ongoing free education for Wendy's Way members, relating to a different theme each time.
- Be rewarded for your loyalty with exclusive access, and "members only" pricing, whenever I release new products & programs.
- Receive free tools & resources, starting with the flexi-menu planner. Learn to prepare quick healthy meals in exactly the right portion sizes without measuring or counting calories.
Join now, and take your first step towards a healthier life.
"Small but consistent changes are the key to phenomenal, long term results."
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!