Nutritious post workout pancakes
Pancakes after training are always a delicous treat for me, which is why I developed this post workout pancakes recipe.
My first healthy pancake recipe was a very simple two ingredient recipe back in 2014, and I’ve been adapting and improving it ever since.
This version of the recipe came about as I wanted the pancake mix to hold together better without affecting the simplicity of it.
And of course, I wanted to still keep it quick and easy to make.
So the very basic egg and banana pancakes now have a couple more ingredients. They’re now easier to cook, and taste even better.
They also have more protein, which is important for post workout nutrition. And still no added or refined sugars.
This recipe makes one large pancake, which I find very filling once you add your fruit, yoghurt and syrup toppings. Simply adjust the quantities accordingly if you’re feeding more than just yourself.
Try these topping ideas to keep your pancakes refined sugar free:
- Microwave 1/2 cup of apricots (fresh or unsweetened tinned) with the juice of 1/2 an orange for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Microwave 1 cup of strawberries until warm and syrupy, add a little vanilla essence.
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of plain Greek yoghurt or kefir.
If you’re looking for an indulgent weekend breakfast, you might like my EASY WEEKEND PANCAKES too
Here’s the recipe
POST WORKOUT PANCAKES
- ½ banana
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dessert spoon almond meal or buckwheat flour
- 1 dessert spoon flaxseed
- Mash the banana in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
- Keep stirring as you add the dry ingredients and then pour mixture immediately into a hot non stick frying pan.
- Cook for a minute or two, until well browned and then flip the pancake over to finish cooking evenly on the other side.
If you're stuck for topping ideas or looking for some new ones, try these:
Microwave 1/2 cup of apricots (fresh or unsweetened tinned) with the juice of 1/2 an orange for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
Microwave 1 cup of strawberries until warm and syrupy, add a little vanilla essence.
Add a couple of spoonfuls of plain greek yoghurt if desired.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Please read this post about WHY YOU SHOULDN’T COUNT CALORIES for more information
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!