Delicious, healthy muesli bars
These healthy muesli bars are made with just a few simple ingredients and they don’t contain any refined sugar or additives.
I’ve always loved muesli bars as a snack and I used to buy them from the supermarket. Well it’s convenient, right? That was in the days before my nutrition training, and before I learned that just because a food is labelled healthy, doesn’t mean it actually is!
I decided a few years ago to start making my own versions of store bought snacks. And I also make healthier versions of traditional recipes for snacks and desserts.
I believe that treats are an important part of a healthy diet, as long as they’re made with wholesome, real ingredients. Making your own puts you in control, and that’s the big difference when it comes to eating nutritious food.
Oats, nuts and seeds are the main ingredients in these muesli bars. Just add your favourite dried fruit. Then honey, tahini and coconut oil are melted together to bind the dry ingredients.
If you’re a chocolate fan, then make sure you try these PEANUT BUTTER ENERGY BARS
and these CHOCOLATE ENERGY BARS
Here’s the recipe
Healthy muesli bars
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup finely chopped dried fruit
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup honey or rice malt syrup
- ½ cup hulled tahini
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped mixed nuts
- Preheat oven to 160℃ and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the oats, seeds, coconut and dried fruit in a large bow.
- Melt the honey, tahini and coconut oil in a small saucepan, over a low heat, until the oil is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the honey mixture over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture onto the baking tray, spread evenly and press it down firmly.
- Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool before cutting into bars.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Please read this post about WHY YOU SHOULDN’T COUNT CALORIES for more information
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!