Banana and date porridge
If you love bananas and dates, then I guarantee you’ll love this banana and date porridge. The banana and dates give an incredible, natural sweetness to plain porridge that you have to taste to believe.
As you’ll know from my earlier porridge recipes, I often like to add coconut milk for a rich, sweet creaminess. This recipe doesn’t need the coconut milk though.
I do think that oats are best cooked in the traditional style, i.e. in water, on the stovetop, for a couple of reasons.
I like to use whole oats because they’re less processed than the quick oats you can cook in the microwave. Also, cooking porridge in the microwave can be messy if they overflow.
This recipe only takes 15 minutes in total, so it definitely qualifies as a quick and healthy breakfast. And with only half a banana and one date mixed into the porridge, that’s roughly one serving of fruit.
It’s up to you what other fruit, if any you use as toppings. If you’re in a hurry, just use the rest of the banana and a handful of your favourite nuts.
Make one simple healthy change: take the free 2-week brekkie challenge
The brekkie challenge runs ‘live’ 3 times each year, to help you to create a new healthy breakfast habit, or simply get back on track with your healthy eating plan.
Now I've got some great news!!! In between each live round, I’ve now decided to keep the email access open – so you can do it as a mini-course.
The last live challenge was in January, and the focus was on adding Omega 3’s and anti oxidants to your diet.
Given our current climate, this is now more important than ever. And you’ve got plenty of time to do it, no excuses!
So I'm challenging you to commit to one simple habit you can implement to improve your health right now – sign up and take the 2-week brekkie challenge.
Here’s the recipe
BANANA AND DATE PORRIDGE
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 banana, mash half and slice half
- 1 date, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, etc
- Bring the oats and water to boil in a small saucepan. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed.
- While the oats are cooking, mash half of the banana and chop the date.
- Add the banana, date, cinnamon and vanilla to the porridge and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the banana slices and a handful of walnuts.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE
Join my free community to learn more about Wendy's Way, and my approach to weight loss and healthy living.
As a valued member of my community, you will:
- Gain access to regular email updates, tips & healthy recipes.
- Be invited to join the live rounds of the 2-week brekkie challenge 3 times each year, where I provide ongoing free education for Wendy's Way members, relating to a different theme each time.
- Be rewarded for your loyalty with exclusive access, and "members only" pricing, whenever I release new products & programs.
- Receive free tools & resources, starting with the flexi-menu planner. Learn to prepare quick healthy meals in exactly the right portion sizes without measuring or counting calories.
Join now, and take your first step towards a healthier life.
"Small but consistent changes are the key to phenomenal, long term results."
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!