Creamy coconut milk porridge
There’s no doubt in my mind about how good oats are for you, and this coconut milk porridge is one of my favourite ways to cook them.
I know when it comes to porridge (or oatmeal) it’s often a love or hate kinda thing, buuttt ….. if you think you don’t like porridge, I highly encourage you to try it again with this recipe! It’s a far cry from the watery, gloopy stuff you may remember from your childhood.
Take the free 2-week healthy brekkie challenge
I'll send you everything you need: recipes, planning & prep tips, tools & resources and a daily dose of motivation.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS COMMIT TO ONE SIMPLE NEW DAILY HABIT.
Porridge with coconut milk
The best thing about this porridge with coconut milk is that it doesn’t need any added sugar.
The coconut milk gives the oats a delicious creaminess, and topping it with fresh fruit adds plenty of natural sweetness. This is a delicious, healthy breakfast that will keep you full til lunchtime.
I use this coconut milk porridge a lot as a base and then I create variations with different toppings. Keep scrolling for links to my other porridge recipes you should try.
Should you make porridge with water or milk?
I actually make it both ways! And I find that when I do make my porridge with milk, it tastes better and I get a better consistency when I start off with water.
For the best tasting porridge, you should always use whole oats, and cook it on the stovetop, as described in my recipe instructions below.
This coconut milk recipe will taste best if you cook the oats with water for 10 minutes, then add the cinnamon, vanilla extract and coconut milk, and simmer for a few minutes more.
You’ll get two generous serves from this recipe.
Take the 2-week healthy brekkie challenge
Great news!!! In between each live round of the brekkie challenge, I’ve now decided to keep it open via email, so you can do it as a mini-course.
This round is focussed on adding Omega 3’s and antioxidants to your diet, so it's perfect for everyone right now.
I'm challenging you to commit to one simple habit you can implement right now to improve your health. Sign up and take the 2-week brekkie challenge – it's free!
Here’s the recipe
COCONUT MILK PORRIDGE
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups water
- ½ - 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium sized saucepan, at medium heat, bring the oats and water to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for five to ten minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and add the cinnamon, vanilla and coconut milk.
- Simmer again for two to three minutes, whilst stirring and thoroughly mixing to a smooth creamy consistency.
- Pour into bowls immediately and top with your favourite fruit and/or other toppings.
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE
Join my free community to learn more about Wendy's Way, and my approach to weight loss and healthy living.
As a valued member of my community, you will:
- Gain access to regular email updates, tips & healthy recipes.
- Be invited to join the live rounds of the 2-week brekkie challenge 3 times each year, where I provide ongoing free education for Wendy's Way members, relating to a different theme each time.
- Be rewarded for your loyalty with exclusive access, and "members only" pricing, whenever I release new products & programs.
- Receive free tools & resources, starting with the flexi-menu planner. Learn to prepare quick healthy meals in exactly the right portion sizes without measuring or counting calories.
Join now, and take your first step towards a healthier life.
"Small but consistent changes are the key to phenomenal, long term results."