Simple banana protein shake
This simple banana protein shake is a delicious, healthy way to refuel your body after a hard workout. It’s also ideal when you need a quick, nutritious breakfast on the run.
Smoothies and shakes can be a very convenient way to quickly and easily replenish the protein your muscles need to grow and repair.
This is my basic ‘go-to’ protein shake, and I’ve added a couple of simple suggestions for optional extras.
If you’re like me and sometimes you need the act of chewing solid food to completely satisfy your hunger, then grab a handful of nuts or a boiled egg to eat with your shake.
There are so many ways to change the flavour and add extra nutrients, it’s really up to you to experiment.
You know I like to keep things simple, so try these ideas:
- a teaspoon of chia seeds
- a teaspoon of cacao powder
- other fruit like berries, mango or peach
- a teaspoon of flax seed
- add a bit of crunch with nuts or seeds
- a teaspoon of acai powder or maca powder
GET SPECIALISED OVER 50'S HEALTHY RECIPES, TIPS & INFO DELIVERED DIRECTLY TO YOUR INBOX.
You will need to use a blender if you want a really smooth shake, but it’s not absolutely necessary.
And if you’re on the go, just carry your dry ingredients in a small container or re-sealable bag. Add your milk to a shaker bottle and then mix your shake when it’s convenient.
Do share your creations with me @wendyswaytohealth and use the hashtag #wendyswaytohealth on Instagram.
Here’s the recipe
BANANA PROTEIN SHAKE
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- ½ banana, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp peanut or almond butter
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- ½ cup strawberries, roughly chopped or
- 1 tsp cacao powder or
- 1 tsp chia seeds or
- small handful chopped nuts
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and enjoy!
**NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IS ESTIMATED AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDE.
Read more about WHY CALORIE COUNTING ISN'T AN EXACT SCIENCE
Make sure you try these smoothies too
- This one’s perfect for your first smoothie
EASIEST EVER GREEN SMOOTHIE
- When you’re heading into cold and flu season
IMMUNE BOOSTING SMOOTHIE
- For a refreshing post workout drink
STRAWBERRY AND WATERMELON SMOOTHIE
- Add more vegetables to your diet with this one
BEETROOT AND CARROT SMOOTHIE